As the Web3 ecosystem matures, entrepreneurs and businesses are looking to hire web3 developers that can build on this new and emerging technology. If you’re trying to hire developers for Web3 technologies like blockchain and distributed ledgers, you may find that it takes time and requires specialized skills. We created this go-to guide for entrepreneurs and businesses who want to hire web3 programmers in the industry but don’t know where to start — we hope it helps!
Who are web3 developers?
Web3 developers are software developers who specialize in building decentralized applications (dApps) on top of decentralized networks, also known as Web3. These networks, which are based on blockchain technology, enable developers to create applications that are open, transparent, and secure. Web3 developers often have expertise in blockchain platforms like Ethereum, as well as a strong understanding of the underlying principles of decentralization and distributed ledger technology. Many Web3 developers are also active members of the broader Web3 community, attending conferences and events, participating in online forums and discussion groups, and collaborating with other developers on open-source projects.
What are the skills, roles, and responsibilities of Web3 Developers?
Finding an expert with the right skills to tackle your Web3 project in question can be extremely challenging. Here are some of the skills that you should be looking for to fill your Web3 developer position:
- Strong knowledge of blockchain technology and decentralized networks: Web3 developers need to have a deep understanding of blockchain technology and how it is used to create decentralized networks. This includes knowledge of platforms like Ethereum, as well as the underlying principles of decentralization and distributed ledger technology.
- Experience with smart contract development: Web3 developers often work on building and deploying smart contracts, which are self-executing contracts with the terms of the agreement between buyer and seller being directly written into lines of code. They need to have experience with the tools and languages used to develop smart contracts, such as Solidity or Rust.
- Familiarity with Web3 development tools and frameworks: Web3 developers need to be proficient with the tools and frameworks used to build decentralized applications (dApps) on top of decentralized networks. This includes knowledge of popular Web3 development frameworks like Truffle, MetaMask, ReactJS, NodeJS and Web3.js.
- Deep understanding of blockchain architecture for networks and protocols. This includes the use of protocols like TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, and JSON RPC APIs, which provide the necessary communication and data transfer mechanisms to support decentralized applications (dApps).
- Good communication and collaboration skills: Web3 developers often work on distributed teams and need to be able to communicate effectively with other members of the team, as well as with stakeholders and clients. They also need to be able to collaborate with other developers on open-source projects and contribute to the broader Web3 community.
Here’s a list of roles filled by Web3 developers:
- Back-end Developer: These blockchain engineers build the servers that host the dApp’s UI. They should be able to work with NodeJS or other server-side languages (Python, Ruby, etc.).
- Full-stack Developer: These engineers are often backend developers who also have frontend skills or vice versa. They’re able to take an idea from concept to production on both sides of the stack (frontend/backend).
- Mobile App Developer: They create mobile apps that run on the Web3 platform and allow users to view, manage, and interact with information on the blockchain. They ensure that their apps work well across different operating systems and platforms, including iOS and Android devices.
- Data Scientist: They analyze large datasets to identify trends in Web3 users’ behavior and performance. They also forecast how these trends could impact the future of Web3.
- Machine Learning Engineer: They develop algorithms that help make predictions based on trends they’ve identified through analytics software. These predictions are used to improve performance and user experience on the Web3 platform.
- DevOps Engineer: They are responsible for maintaining the infrastructure of the entire Web3 system. They make sure that all components of the system are working as they should.
What are the pros and cons of hiring Web3 developers of different levels?
At Eniblock Services, as a successful custom blockchain development company delivering blockchain services and solutions to transform the industry, we’ve seen the pros and cons of hiring Web3 developers of different levels. From fresh-out-of-school starters to experienced veterans with multiple successful launches under their belt, there are reasons to hire at all levels. So, which level is right for you?
Junior Web3 Developers
- Lower cost of hiring
- They can be more committed than senior developers
- They can bring a fresh perspective to your blockchain project
- They are usually more eager to learn and less set in their ways
- They are easier to mold into your company’s style and culture
- Enthusiastic and eager to take on tasks
- They can be overconfident and make unnecessary mistakes
- They might need more supervision and guidance
- They might have a limited skill set and knowledge about coding standards and best practices
- They may lack creativity since their experience is very limited
- They need more time for tasks than experienced developers
Mid-level Web3 Developers
- More experience than junior developers
- Can take responsibility for important aspects of development
- Flexibility to go beyond their job description
- Self-motivated and don’t require a lot of direction
- Less likely to make mistakes that could be costly for your business
- Despite some experience, there may be gaps in their knowledge
- They still need someone who can сreate a task for them
Senior Web3 Developers
- Better problem solvers
- They have more industry knowledge
- Mentor to junior and mid-level developers
- Highly experienced and accomplished in their field
- Strong leadership skills for managing teams or individuals
- Being inflexible and unwilling to try new things
- Expensive hiring costs
- They may be overqualified for certain roles
When should you hire a Web3 developer?
The answer to this question depends on what kind of startup you are. If you are building a product that runs on the blockchain, then it makes sense to hire a web3 developer who has experience with the blockchain.
If you have a team of experts handling your blockchain development, they’ll be able to help you identify the blockchains and tools that make sense for your project.
The beauty of working with distributed systems is that there are many ways to approach any given problem. Web3 offers particularly exciting opportunities for startups to tackle these problems from new angles. As Web3 grows and evolves over time, it will become increasingly important for startups to be able to pivot their strategies based on these changes and opportunities.
Some specific situations where hiring a Web3 developer might be appropriate for your company include:
- When you are starting a new dApp project and need to build a team of developers with the right skills and experience to succeed.
- When you are looking to expand an existing dApp project and need to add additional developers with expertise in Web3 development.
- When you are working on a project that requires a deep understanding of blockchain technology and decentralized networks and need developers with the right skills and experience to contribute to the project’s success.
- When you want to tap into the broader Web3 community and connect with top developers who are passionate about decentralized technology and its potential.
Where to find the best Web3 developer for your project?
There are a few different places you can look to find Web3 developers to hire for your project. Some potential options include:
They take care of recruiting, screening, and onboarding new talent. This is one of the most successful methods for finding Web3 experts. It may not be as fast as hiring a freelancer, but an outstaffing company provides you guarantees, which freelancers can’t offer. An outstaffing company, makes it easier than ever to source qualified Web3 developer candidates with the programming skills and abilities you need. From front-end and back-end developers to full stack and DevOps engineers.
Also, outstaffing implies less overhead than recruiting through an agency or outsourcing company. However, it’s important that you look for an outstaffing company that has blockchain developers in their talent pool because they will know how to match you with the right candidate for your project.
Eniblock Services is a blockchain development services company with extensive experience in creating and implementing custom blockchain solutions for enterprises operating in multiple verticals and sectors. Eniblock Services has its origins rooted in research and development and can build any DLT tool to transform your business and disrupt your industry, solving persistent business problems and opening new opportunities.
The expertise of our blockchain development company includes:
- Custom blockchain development solutions
- Smart contracts development and auditing
- NFT development
- DeFi solutions
- Digital assets trading
- Crypto & fiat integration
- Crypto wallet integration
- Outstaffing of top-tier blockchain talent
Over the years, Eniblock Services has built a respectable base of talented blockchain experts that can help supercharge any of your blockchain projects. By working with Eniblock Services’ outstaffing vertical, you will:
- Work with strong remote developers as you need them, from full-time remote engineering teams to hourly or daily contractors.
- Quickly switch from one technical expertise to another depending on your project
- Spin up your development team and become truly responsive and nimble
- Experience an amazingly fast experience and reduce time in sourcing quality talent to days or a few weeks instead of months
- Leverage our deep expertise in constructing the backbone of over 30 blockchain industry projects till date
- Benefit from a full-blown infrastructure powered by Eniblock Platform by using our Web3 APIs
- Project flexibility. You can work around the developers’ schedule.
- Cost-effectiveness. You pay only for code delivered, not hiring costs or other recruitment expenses.
- Time savings. Outstaffing has a faster hiring process than trying to hire in-house developers.
- Management is on your side. You need a tech lead or PM who can manage your project because an outstaffing company usually doesn’t do such a thing.
Another option is to hire web3 coders directly through one of the many freelance marketplaces available such as Upwork, Fiverr, etc. You’ll have access to a wide variety of skill sets, but will need to vet each candidate before deciding if they’re right for your project or not. The upside is that they’re typically cheaper than hiring an employee full-time, but the downside is that they might not have enough experience working with blockchain technology yet, which means training costs on top of their hourly rate could be higher. More so, freelancers are often not as reliable and dependable as companies may wish; this affects startups especially because they have to move with speed.
- Freelance developers often have more variability in their experience, which leads to a better demonstration of expertise.
- Hiring freelancers can save companies money, especially when compared to hiring full-time employees.
- Freelancers can help fill in during busy periods or if an employee calls in sick.
- When you hire a freelancer, you don’t have much control over what they will do or how fast they will do it.
- Limited knowledge about the candidate’s skills, experience and personality.
- No guarantee of quality work.
If you’re looking for a full-time employee, an agency can be a great option. But be prepared: agencies often have high rates, and there’s no guarantee that the person they send you will have all the skills you need. Plus, they’ll take your money whether the candidate ends up not fitting in.
Hiring agency Pros:
- The company can focus on their core business and not have to worry about finding and interviewing candidates who fit the job description.
- It saves time since they will not have to spend time interviewing, screening and testing candidates.
Hiring agency Cons:
- The developer might not be the right tech fit for your company.
- The developer may have been placed by an agency that does not match with the company’s culture or vision.
- Hiring costs are rather high.
An outsourcing company is similar to an agency in that it can supply a full-time employee, but it’s usually more cost-effective and there are fewer risks involved. If your project needs change, you can just move on without paying for someone who isn’t doing much work anymore. The downside here is that you don’t always get access to the best talent; it’s up to the company to decide who gets hired based on their own criteria.
Outsourcing company Pros:
- Outsourcing can help you gain tech stack skills with industrial expertise. This results in robust software solutions
- You as the client have full workflow control and management of the project
- You can save costs by finding an outsource company in a cheap location or that specialize in the specific task you are looking for
Outsourcing company Cons:
- You may not be able to communicate directly with your developer, which makes it harder to solve problems quickly.
- Many outsourcing companies may be limited in their ability to meet your specific needs
- Some outsourcing companies may be inflexible to meet your needs, compared with outstaffing companies
In general, it’s important to be proactive and network with the broader Web3 community in order to find the best developers for your project. This can help you connect with top talent and increase your chances of finding the right developers for your project.
Conclusion: Key Takeaways
- Web3 offers particularly exciting opportunities for startups to tackle problems from new angles. For this reason, startups will benefit from hiring web3 developers.
- Hiring web3 developers is typically expensive and time consuming, but you can lower costs and hire faster by working with Eniblock Services’ outstaffing vertical.
- You should consider optimizing your hiring process tailored to the web3 technology as well as your company’s specific goals.
Eniblock Services’ is a blockchain development company helping businesses maximize their potential with blockchain solutions. Our team has business and technical acumen in the blockchain domain. We bring to the table strong project management skills and a proven track record of successful projects in the emerging Web3 industry.
We have helped multiple startups, SMBs and big corporations to hire web3 programmers and implement tech solutions that have improved their processes and made them more efficient. We also have deep expertise in building NFT Marketplaces and platforms to tokenize real-world assets and can help you with this aim as well through our Eniblock Platform, a Web3 development infrastructure.